R4274-339 The Nova Scotia Convention

Change language

::R4274 : page 339::


THE JOURNEY from Allegheny to Halifax and back was approximately 3000 miles—a long distance to go to a Convention where only comparatively a small number could be expected. However, the Nova Scotia friends were anxious for a Convention, as were also some of those at Boston born in Nova Scotia. This helps to account for the fact that 75 of the Boston friends attended. From various parts of Nova Scotia about 125 more completed the total of 200 in attendance. Everything considered this was an excellent turnout. We had a very enjoyable time and parted company, longing for the time when “those of like precious faith” will be forever with the Lord and with each other.

The Convention had been in session two days by the time of our arrival and continued two days more. The chairman was Brother Marchant, and discourses were given by Brothers Streeter, Bridges, Barker, Brenneisen, MacMillan and Russell on various features of the Divine Plan. Seventeen symbolized their consecration by water immersion, and when it came to the closing service—the LOVE FEAST—the blessings seemed to overflow out of all our hearts. The experience was both a solemn and happifying one, well calculated to remind us all of the perfect union with our Lord, in which we hope to join in the General Assembly of the Church of the First-Borns.

The largest attendance at the Convention was, of course, on the occasion of the discourse to the public, on “The Overthrow of Satan’s Empire.” The audience was variously estimated above 2000, but we accepted the most conservative estimate of 1200, and felt very glad that that number of people was privileged to hear

::R4275 : page 339::

of the “good tidings of great joy.” The audience was a very intelligent one.


The Truro friends bespoke the day following the Convention, and on its acceptance made considerable preparation. From the Halifax Convention a train-load of 140 went to Truro, a distance of about one hundred miles. Their presence was very gratifying to all concerned. On arrival we had time for a Colporteur meeting before noon, all participating, though the total number of Colporteurs present was twenty-five. In the afternoon we had a symposium on “The Principal Thing,” participated in by sixteen brethren, to each of whom was allotted ten minutes, and between whom were divided the various items of interest pertaining to the Christian character, and what should be put on and what should be put off.

The High School chapel had been secured for the evening meeting, to which the public was invited by liberal advertising. It was the largest available auditorium, and it was crowded, over 600 being seated, while more than 100 stood during the two hours’ services. Many of those familiar with the subject gave place to the people of the city by attending an overflow meeting. We believe that we never had any more thoughtful and attentive hearing. We trust that some good seed was sown in some good hearts. At the adjournment of the meeting at 10:30 p.m., a special train took back the friends who had come from Halifax and vicinity and Boston, while another train bore ourself and others in the opposite direction. The scene at the depot was very inspiring. Inside and outside the songs arose, “God be with you till we meet again,” and “Blest be the tie that binds our hearts.” The experiences of the day will long be remembered by us.


A ride from 11:00 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. the next day brought us to Bangor, where we had accepted another invitation for a stop-over. We were heartily welcomed and generously entertained. The afternoon session for the interested was attended by about seventy, who had gathered from various districts around about, some of them residents of Quebec. The evening session for the public as in the Universalist meeting-house and there was an attendance of about 700, who gave strictest attention, and many of them indicated their endorsement of the presentation during the service, as well as afterward.

More goodbys and then a midnight train, which brought us to Boston the next morning and from there a ride of a day and a night returned us safely to Allegheny, weary but very thankful to the Lord for the privilege of service we had enjoyed and from the encouragement we had received from the loving zeal manifested by so many of the dear friends.


— November 15, 1908 —